Friday, November 25, 2005

Why I Love Santa Cruz

I have a love/hate relationship with my current hometown but today I was reminded of why I like it here so much. Two days ago the local newspaper printed an article warning residents that because of an offshore storm waves were expected to be dangerously high the day after Thanksgiving and through the weekend. The article suggested that people stay away from the beach. So what did half the people who live on the westside of Santa Cruz do this weekend? We went to the beach and half the people there brought surfboards!

Yes, the waves were gloriously high -- some splashing as high as the top of the lighthouse at Steamer Lane. But I've never seen the Lane as full of surfers as I did today. There were people lined up all along the shore laughing and shouting and applauding for the riders who managed to ride the longest, people were grinning ear to ear, and life felt like a carnival. Such an antidote for those of us who take life too seriously. Sometimes you just have to get out there and enjoy the ride!

No comments: