Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Lessons on the Healer's Path

Odd intense dreams all night. And, by the way, as of this moment my cat Chloe's eyelid cyst is still in transition. . . although I can no longer tell whether it's getting better or getting better, then worse, then better again.

You see, the guides told me to wait a week before seeing results. And boy do I hate to wait. I keep wanting to check out her eye to see if the healing is "working". Which, of course, shows my lack of faith in a process when it takes longer than overnight success. Paul tells me that negates the process. I'm starting not to care any more about the whole experiment.

This leads me to a few other things I wanted to consider. What are we wasting time trying to prove that miraculous healings exist for, anyway? I mean, everybody eventually is going to die. No healer on the planet is able to keep people alive forever.

Paul and I were wondering last night if the true value of an occasional healing in our lives is to remind us of what's possible, to remember we're not alone, that we're part of something much greater.

And if God, this Divine intelligence, this healing power is present in everything, does it really make sense to always try to heal through the most "miraculous" ways possible? Isn't modern medicine miraculous—especially given what we thought was possible in that arena not that long ago? Aren't flower essences and herbal formulas miraculous? The idea that I could take the root of a plant that grows wild in open dry meadows and use it to clear up lung congestion —pleurisy root—is a pretty wonderful thing. Isn't acupuncture and homeopathy and chiropractic and a whole slew of other more physical world oriented therapies just as miraculous as hands-on or distance healing? Why are we denigrating the physical manifestations of God and venerating only the transcendent ones?

When Paul first became able to do healing work spontaneously as a result of a Kundalini type awakening he was told -- or "knew" -- that this wasn't the be all, end all of his work here on this planet. It almost didn't matter. It was a signpost. I read the exact same thing on a Christian website today about spiritual healing. Miraculous healings of a purely spiritual nature are NOT the whole shooting match -- it's a signpost. It's a reminder . . . but it doesn't negate our own responsibility in the matter. It's not an "eraser" as that website put it so bluntly. It just lets us know that healing is possible if we would only let go of the "broken ways" we have adopted in this life that separate us from God, separate us from each other, and separate us from the environments we live in.

It makes me wonder: would an "experienced" healer even care about doing miraculous style healings at all? Or would it just be a small part of what we get to do?

2 comments:

Paul Hood said...

Yes, as far as we know everybody dies eventually. I didn't think we were trying to prove that miraculous healings exist, and even though we can't keep people alive forever, we may be able to help people out when they are suffering, just like we appreciate help when we're suffering. There may be a greater purpose for what we do, expecially in a case where an aspirin would be cheaper and easier. At times we may have a client call with a problem that we think they should take elsewhere, but maybe there will be unexpected benefits-- even from them calling and being turned away. After all, we never just give the "brush off" we always listen and follow our guidance and give some kind of feedback. Hey, you're an extraordinary counselor, there's nothing wrong with that and it doesn't have to be metaphysical to be of value.

Sheryl Karas said...

You haven't been trying to prove anything about miraculous healings but I have been. After you told me that one of the places you struggle as a healer is the instance when you can see the physical problem itself I realized I do much better with physical problems I can't actually see myself. They go away when I'm not looking but not while I am. That's why I've been doing the Chloe experiment. But I'm tired of doing that. I want to focus on what I already can do and allow that to expand instead of focusing on what's not been so easy and trying to fight against that.