Wednesday, March 07, 2007

More on TV Violence

I received this quote by Ursala Le Guin in my email today. I'm an artist who refuses to paint pain large. I know there are many who use art to make a statement. In film, especially, there is a need to bring certain horrors of the world to light and to make an impact that is more powerful than perhaps any other medium. But I'm against graphic violence simply for shock value and long for visions of beauty and love and delight to counteract the darkness. What we are FOR is as important as what we're against, what we want to create, to celebrate, feel happy about. The act of making art is a joy and a pleasure for me. To do anything else with art than to focus on what I love would be counterproductive for me. A Libran path, I guess. What else would I be?

THE TREASON OF THE ARTIST
"The trouble is that we have a bad habit, encouraged by pedants and
sophisticates, of considering happiness as something rather stupid. Only
pain is intellectual, only evil interesting. This is the treason of the artist: a
refusal to admit the banality of evil and the terrible boredom of pain. If
you can't lick 'em, join 'em. If it hurts, repeat it.

"But to praise despair is to condemn delight, to embrace violence is to
lose hold of everything else. We have almost lost hold, we can no longer
describe a happy man, nor make any celebration of joy."

-Ursula Le Guin, "The Ones Who Walk Away From Omelas," *The Wind's
Twelve Quarters*

No comments: