Thursday, December 20, 2007

Buying HandMade


Click this image and you'll get to a unique website that's all about encouraging people to buy things this holiday (and as often as possible throughout the year) from people they know and people they don't know yet who make wonderful things by hand. Mama Love perfume is a such a business. All my perfumes are handmade by me and the artwork and design of the packaging is done by me as well. I have a sense of pride in that (although I have to admit to someday wanting to be able to hire an assistant) because here is yet another thing I can point to and say "I did that."

I guess I'm like a construction worker in that respect. I'm sure there's a great deal of pride that comes from pointing to a house or a highway you just made and thinking you had a hand in it. Having a physically tangible result from the work that you do that can be shared with others can be quite a kick.

But it doesn't just have to be a product. I remember feeling the same way when I walked down the street that fabulous New Year's Eve in Santa Cruz with thousands of happy smiling people at the city's very first First Night celebration which I helped create. I was so giddy--I helped throw a party and look how many people came!

Paul and I get that same thrill when we help a client and know we did a kick-ass job. But, for some reason, it's even better when we get an email of thanks or a testimonial because then we can look at those notes later when the thrill has worn off and remember. Tangible effects from what we offer the world....I think there's nothing we'd rather do.

No comments: