Friday, January 11, 2008

Blogging for Dollars

I've been obsessed with blogging these days -- not that you can tell by looking at this one lately! Apparently it's been found that creating an author's blog with excerpts from books you're trying to promote and little bits of stuff about being an author is a very good thing so I put up a new blog for my Spiritual Journey of Family Caregiving Book and have been working on that.

Now again, conventional wisdom is that blogging should happen every day or at least three or more times a week to be of any good. Our good friend Linda told us that months ago and we felt overwhelmed by it. Still do, actually, but lately Paul has been putting up at least one photo and an occasional article practically every day, I've made a little more effort here, and I put up excerpts from my book and other stuff on the Spiritual Caregiving blog every day. Lots more people have clicked on links and found our website as a result.

Hmmm.

So I started looking around the internet, wanting to know what other people do with their blogs that allows them to be able to put stuff up so often consistently over time. The first thing I found out is that some people make a living doing this! There's even bloggers writing blogs about how to make a living doing blogging! They have LOTS of ads on their blog sites, they write -- or have other people write for them!-- articles that are posted every day. They keep their blog topic tightly focussed -- one issue ALL the time. That rules this blog out as a money making model. And once they get other people obsessed with that one topic hooked in as daily visitors they're able to get corporate sponsors willing to pay them to place ads on the page that people don't even need to click on in order for the blogger to be paid.

wow

But I don't need blogging to become an end in itself. After all, I don't do this for that. Paul and I like the spiritual counseling and healing work we do best of all.

Today, I discovered, quite by accident, that if I click on my own profile and then click on the words "Santa Cruz" that I would be led to ALL the blogs using Blogger being written in my hometown. 431 of them to be exact. So I looked at them all, mostly young people talking to their friends, many of them anonymous, and a surprising number of blogs written in once or twice and then abandoned.

That's something to think about: how many miles of internet real estate are used by people who aren't using it anymore? It's like miles and miles and miles of abandoned warehouses and falling down barns and farmhouses. Empty shells waiting to be demolished, taking up server space, litter left behind from some would-be author's deluded memory. "This is going to be great! I'm going to write in this thing every day. People will come from far and wide to see what I've got up this time and..." Uh, wait a minute, this is Santa Cruz, the sun is shining, surf's up, and I'm going to sit inside writing this stuff? Na, na, na, na, na. I'm out the door.

No comments: