Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Breakthrough

The word comes from “break” and “through,” to get through what previously was seen as an unsurmountable barrier. A wall in your psyche or belief system? Your childhood upbringing? The norms and expectations you inherited from your culture. What gets in your way?

Sometimes it’s wanting to have the same things you have always wanted in the same way you’ve always wanted to have it. Banging your head against the wall of the locked door, hoping against hope to get better results.

“If I only can bang harder without breaking my head” we think. “Maybe if I do head push-ups I could make my head harder. Maybe I’m not smart enough or my family didn’t make me tough enough. I need to buck up and make it hurt. I mean, after all, if you want something hard enough . . .”

On it went. Until the day we woke up and discovered our heads hurt way too much, the pain of the effort never added up to the results we need, and that wall is just damn long to go around. We can’t see the end of it. It’s time to stop. Put down the effort. “Let go, let God.”

“It isn’t our job,” we said, “anymore. It’s done. It’s over. In French, finis.”

But it isn’t. God smiled. It’s in my hands now. Let me show you what really can be done.

No comments: