Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Wedding Photography in Santa Cruz

Paul and I had a wonderful experience this weekend which woke up a desire in me I didn't know I had. We photographed a wedding, a relaxed and heart-felt Hawaiian-themed beach party on Twin Lakes Beach in Santa Cruz. It was great! And when we got back and saw the happy smiling faces in the truly great photos we got, I thought "wow, talk about a great day job. I wouldn't mind doing this once in a while."

That got us thinking. Paul NEVER wanted to do weddings but this bride insisted, said the perfect things to get past his (our) barriers, and the result was we got paid to have fun. It was hard work because you're running here and there striving to document everything and everybody and some of it happens too quick for words. "Whoa, the bride is being walked down the aisle and the aisle is really short and they're walking really fast! Damn, someone's in my way! Click, click, click. It's over! I hope some of them come out." There's stress involved in that.

And we discovered that shooting the event isn't even a third of the time needed to do what needs to be done. Well, at least not for a couple of perfectionists who won't let anything that isn't top quality represent what we do. We're going through every photo and retouching every one and I know that's not what people on the low end of the wedding photography scale do for very long.

On the other hand I KNOW this bride is going to be thrilled. And she already wrote to tell us that she's going to recommend us before she's even seen the photos because working with us was so easy and relaxed. I think how we took on the work made it fun. We actually said a prayer in the car that the day go well and decided together that part of our job was going to make people laugh and loosen up. We'd take a shot, look at the readout on the screen, and exclaim "Awesome!" People would laugh and then we'd get a great shot. In short order we didn't even have to do that. People were having fun and we shot 950 photos.

Our biggest problem now is having too many to choose from.

2 comments:

kris said...

Weddings are SO not my favorite thing to shoot. I've seen far too many Bridezilla's. I hope you charged accordingly for you effort, time and enthusiasm.

If you guys are seriously thinking about getting into this check out www.asmp.org and http://www.wppionline.com/ for more info, tips and business practices.

This article is interesting as well: http://www.sportsshooter.com/news/1989

And don't forget to share those photos! I wanna see them! ;-)

Sheryl Karas said...

Thanks for the tips and the heads-up. We have heard a lot about Bridezilla. This bride wasn't one of them. She was a sweetheart! How many weddings have you done? We're hoping to get photos up soon. Paul's just putting the finishing touches on them now.