Saturday, September 20, 2008

Feel Like "Following" My Blog?

Blogger has a brand new feature I'm trying out. It's called "following." I suspect it's most useful for people who have a Blogger account themselves because signing up for a blog's RSS feed takes care of it for everyone else.

You do know about RSS feeds, right? See the "Subscribe" buttons to the top right of my blog? If you click there, I hear, you'll get some kind of notification when I put something up. That way you don't have to check all the time and wind up disappointed when I go into a blogging slump and don't say anything for awhile.

But if you have a blog yourself (or maybe just a Google account, I'm not sure), "Following" is a helpful tool. The last few posts by someone you are following show up on your Blogger dashboard. You can read the first few sentences and headline and decide at a glance whether you want to check their blog out that day. You can also be seen as a "Fan" on that person's blog.

If you look a little further down the page on the right hand side of my blog....keep going down....it's just below the section marked "Video Bar" (click on one of our videos while you're there!)..... you'll see a section marked "Followers." I put this on my blog yesterday and so far have two Etsy crafters following me. If you click on the "Follow this Blog" link you can be listed as a Fan, too!

I'm following a blog written by an "Evolutionary Psychologist." Have you ever heard of such a thing? I hadn't but she writes about the most interesting stuff. For example, check out her latest post about hugging and chimpanzees.

It's kind of fun!

4 comments:

blackfeatherfarm said...

I'll check that out - thanks !

Alison Du Bois said...

Cool, thanks for the info!

Kala Pohl Studio said...

Thank you for your comments on my blog, I appreciate it. I follow the evolutionary psychologist's blog too. Good to find like-minded people:)

DreamWoven said...

just so you know... the 'following' feature works with any blog or website if it has an rss feature.... :) i am loving it.