Sunday, September 28, 2008

Mama Love Healer Mama

I recently started a thread in the Etsy forums about sharing the story of how we got started in our various handmade craft businesses. I always tell the same thing: about how I couldn't stop crying when I divorced and was guided to create a healing flower essence aromatherapy formula for myself that got me through it. I called that first formula "Mama Love for Troubled Times" because it made me feel like a child being held safe in my mother's arms. Now I call all my healing formulas "Mama Love."

But since that thread got started I've been thinking about how important the story of how we got to where we are in our lives can be.

For instance, when I was a kid I used to spend hours playing in the woods pretending to be a Native American medicine woman. I'd track rabbits, trying to see how quietly I could sneak up behind one. And I'd collect roots and leaves and berries to mash up for my healing potions. I'd even grind them in the hollow of a large rock that probably was used for some kind of grinding purpose by the local tribe who once lived in that location.

Later when I decided to follow a healing path myself I imagined myself playing the role of the local village healer woman. I'd have a small herb shop and make custom healing potions on the spot. I actually saw a modern version of that when I was in England. Neal's Yard Remedies in Salisbury is a bright clean modern shop with herbalists working behind the counter dressed in white coats like pharmacists in America often do now. It gave the profession an air of respectability you rarely see in our country.

But the truth is I really relished the small village healer woman version a bit more. There's some archetypal pattern I wanted to embody. A safe cozy, easy job, doing work I loved, helping others, and being supported by the people I healed. Of course, in the fantasy I lived in a small country town, my work was believed in and trusted, and my little healer store was the only one around.

I don't live that way now and I've been guided that holding on to that archetype is damaging. It doesn't apply to this century, perhaps it never did. My community seems to be on the internet and, instead of retreating into a small corner, my life requires me (us -- me and Paul) to come out and be proud.

We just got a small video camera -- nothing fancy, a Samsung camcorder -- and we plan to continue our earlier series of mutual interviews (see the video bar at the right of this page). Paul and I have wonderful discussions sitting on the front porch of our house. We cover all kinds of metaphysical topics and I always wish we had a tape recorder on. I'm also writing much more regularly and reposting earlier articles all over the internet. I'd like to make Mama Love a household name and that's going to take letting people know who we are, how we got started, and what we do.

No comments: