Friday, November 07, 2008

In What Way Do You Keep Yourself In the Closet?



New video just up on Youtube today. I have to admit to feeling uncomfortable with the amount of emotion I express in it. While I knew these issues are things that play in the background for me a fair bit of the time, I honestly had no idea it's been in my way to the extent that I've noticed it lately.

Paul doesn't struggle with this kind of thing. He seems to think it's because he was a pretty popular kid growing up and has never identified much with being a member of an oppressed group. I was brought up Jewish; he wasn't. I heard the phrase "what will the neighbors think if..." used as the reason me or my brother and sisters should not behave in various ways on a regular basis. Paul's mom actually went to bat for him in school and defended his right to be who he was. He has an aura of confidence about himself I dream of for myself.

What would the world be like if we all felt safe enough to be who we are?

No comments: