Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Persimmon Bounty


The tree in the front yard is literally falling over with persimmons. One more example of a bounty of fruit in our yard this year. We have had way more fruit than we can eat this season, and until recently I realized I wasn't taking full enough advantage of it.

I never was a persimmon fan. Until recently I had only eaten Hachiya persimmons which are very astringent when picked off the tree. They have to be ripened for several days in a paper bag and then they turn to a slimy honey-tasting muck. Some people absolutely love them.

Our persimmon tree, however, is the Fuyu variety. They can be eaten right off the tree and are crisp and sweet, tasting somewhat like a very mild apple or pear. We've never had more than 1-2 persimmons on the tree before. It's very young. So this year's crop is quite a surprise.

I'm very attracted to orange colored fruit right now. I have Mango Tangerine Sorbet in the freezer and Ben and Jerry's Peach Cobbler ice cream. I want to eat carrots and would actually like to eat an orange right now. Orange is the color of the second chakra and I always associate a craving for that color as indicative of a spiritual need for emotional sustenance. The second chakra is about pleasure, emotional safety and sexuality. It's also connected, along with the first chakra which is more survival oriented, to financial abundance and personal well-being.

'Nuff said about that. I decided to appreciate the orange I have in my life right now and made an absolutely wonderful Brandied Persimmon and Date Bread. It's my own recipe, altered significantly from another recipe I found on the net.

Brandied Persimmon and Date Bread

Butter for greasing the loaf pan
2 large eggs
1/2 cup cooking oil
1 cup of Fuyu persimmon puree (see instructions below)
Brandy (see instructions below)
1/2 cup chopped dates
1/2 cup chopped pecans
1 Fuyu persimmon, peeled and chopped
1 1/4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
1 cup sugar (or slightly less)
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground cloves

First make persimmon puree: Peel and chop 2-4 Fuyu persimmons. Put in the microwave on high for 2 minutes and then blend in a blender with a splash or two of brandy. Don't ask me how much. I just put enough to make it easier to blend and then a touch more. :-)

Let the persimmon puree cool.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Butter a 5x9-inch loaf pan and set aside.

Place the eggs and oil in a medium sized bowl and mix well. Add the persimmon puree, dates, pecans, and chopped persimmon. Stir to blend.

Place the flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, salt, nutmeg, cinnamon and cloves in a large bowl. Blend well. Add the egg, oil and fruit mixture and stir to combine. Don't overmix. Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan.

Bake until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean, about 65-70 minutes.

Let bread cool, remove from the pan and eat it warm or at room temperature. Yum!!!

Wrapped in plastic wrap, the bread can be refrigerated for up to a week.

2 comments:

Rosebud Collection said...

Sounds wonderful..Never ate a persimmon..but would give it a try, especially if I had a tree in my yard..sounds good..

oriental banana said...

your recipe sounds delicious...! send any extra persimmons my way!