Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Petrified Wood


There is an amazing amount of Petrified Wood that can be found on this property. I was excited about the tiny pieces I took a photo of for this blog earlier last week but then we found the piles of Petrified Wood Priscilla and Frank have all around the outside of their house, including whole logs of it here and there. Supposedly there are much larger pieces just an hour up the road at the Petrified Forest National Park. Paul and I will have to take a trip out there one of these days.

Petrified Wood is actually a kind of fossil. The actual "wood", the organic material, is prehistoric and long gone, having been replaced with various minerals after the trees themselves were buried under the ground in some long ago flood. The pieces we find on the property here, though, retain the appearance of wood on the outside. You can see the bark but it's hard to the touch instead of soft as actual bark would be. You can't scrape it away with your fingernail. In fact, it's extremely hard to cut with stone cutting tools.

I've been carrying three small pieces in my coat pocket. I don't find myself "attracted" to it in any way but I'm loathe to give them away. I like holding them in my hand and find them soothing to touch. A site I found on the internet suggests that Petrified Wood is useful for grounding and emotional stability. It encourages a practical mindset and is supposed to infer a feeling of physical protection and financial success.

Paul and I are gearing up for our first trip to Flagstaff and Sedona early in the year, probably leaving here January 2nd or 3rd. We hope to find spiritually-oriented spas to work with. There are many such places in Sedona it appears. I'm also planning to bring my Mama Love perfume so I'm prepared should we find appropriate gift shops or stores selling tools for natural healing. I find it interesting that the Petrified Wood and Juniper berries that we're surrounded by here both are thought to have healing purposes in regards to physical well-being and protection. The native peoples in the Southwest sometimes carried Juniper berries in their medicine bags when they went on a challenging trip. We feel challenged by what we're taking on right now, to say the least. I have Juniper berries along with my Petrified Wood in my pockets now, too.

No comments: