Monday, February 23, 2009

How Could Anyone Ever Tell You -- Harvey Milk


Last night the Academy Awards were marred by Christian extremists protesting gay marriage who carried signs saying "Heath in Hell," condemning the late actor Heath Ledger for his role in the movie "Brokeback Mountain". They were also there to protest the film "Milk," the movie about the first openly gay man elected to public office in California. Harvey Milk was assassinated by Dan White, a city supervisor who was virulently against gay rights.

Dustin Lance Black received the award for best original screenplay, a gay activist who was brought up in a strict Mormon household. In his moving speech upon accepting the award he said:

"I heard the story of Harvey Milk and it gave me hope. It gave me the hope to live my life openly as who I am, and that one day I could even fall in love and get married.

"I want to thank my mom, who has always loved me for who I am even when there was pressure not to.

"But most of all, if Harvey had not been taken from us 30 years ago, I think he would want me to say to all of the gay and lesbian kids out there tonight who have been told that they are less than by their churches or by the government or by their families, that you are beautiful, wonderful creatures of value, and that no matter what anyone tells you God does love you and that very soon I promise you, you will have equal rights federally across this great nation of ours.

"Thank you and thank you God for giving us Harvey Milk."

The video I've included on this page is a music video and slideshow of Libby Roderick's well-loved song "How Could Anyone Ever Tell You" as recorded by Shaina Noll. It's one of my favorites.

1 comment:

TERI REES WANG said...

It was a very clear and moving, soul filled speech. I understand if some one else does not understand. What I do not understand is when choose to express fear and hate instead of attempting to understand.
If we agree to disagree that is understood. Truce.