Saturday, February 07, 2009

Pilgrims Unite

Paul and his stepdad LOVE watching Westerns and they both have a particular fondness for John Wayne. Having grown up in New England just south of Boston I find this strange... or at least I used to. To my East Coast liberal city sensibilities John Wayne, the ultimate macho cowboy, represented everything that was wrong with this country. But out here -- in very similar country to where most of these Westerns were filmed -- John Wayne still represents the ultimate hero.

Paul does a dead-on John Wayne imitation and uses it to make me laugh when I'm feeling down. "Don't you worry about a thing, little lady. I'll fix yer right up!"

I'm lightening up about cowboys out here. The ones I've met in person -- in Wyoming and Watsonville, CA -- have been gracious and charming, down to earth, with a gentle sense of humor. A lot like how John Wayne is depicted in some of his later films.

Plus, with one of the sweetest, gentlest guys I know swaggering around out here pretending to be him...how could I not come around?

No comments: