Friday, February 13, 2009

Snowflake, Arizona


It DOES snow in Snowflake, Arizona -- it's snowing now as I'm writing this blog entry -- but that's not why the tiny town we're currently living near has its name.

Snowflake is named after the town founders Erastus Snow, the LDS apostle charged with the Mormon colonization of Arizona, and William Jordan Flake, the Mormon pioneer who was given the job of starting the settlement by Brigham Young.

A piece of trivia that's of interest to me is that Erastus Snow was born in St. Johnsbury, Vermont, a much larger town than Snowflake, close to the only good friends we have that are living as rurally as we are right now. Snow was introduced to the Mormon faith there. He then moved to Ohio and was a member of the first Mormon pioneer group to cross the plains in wagon trains to settle in what later became Salt Lake City.

The town of Snowflake is filled with wonderful historic homes that date back to the early pioneer days. You can go on a historic walking tour and supposedly in the summer some of the buildings are open to the public to see inside.

The town of Snowflake is home to one of the few Mormon temples in Arizona. I believe it is one of 108 in the world. It's situated on the west side of town and people pay more to live within sight of it. It has great spiritual meaning to the LDS community and they're very proud of it so I'm hesitant to express my personal opinion in print. Because it is so modern in its architecture, to my uninitiated eyes, it looks a bit like an alien spaceship that's come in for a landing on the hilltop.

That's a bit ironic because Snowflake is also the home of one of the most famous UFO sightings and alien abductions in history. At least five people claim to have witnessed it. None of them, that I'm aware of, have recanted their story to this date. The person the aliens supposedly took, Travis Walton, still lives in Snowflake, wrote a book on the subject, and has a small following. A movie was made based on this book called Fire in the Sky.

Another strange tidbit about Snowflake is that it is home to a substantial enough community of people suffering from multiple chemical sensitivity that it helps support a small alternative-oriented organic grocery store. Amelia's Garden stands out as a bit of an oddity in Snowflake. Trust me, we were relieved when we saw it. Paul and I, unfortunately, were present there on the last day their wonderful organic cafe was open for business. We shared a Chipotle Portabello Mushroom Sandwich which was one of the most delicious gourmet quality sandwiches I've had anywhere. The cafe still serves coffee, tea and baked goods and hopes to reopen as a restaurant in the spring or summer. We hope they do because the staff is so dedicated to healthy lifestyles and the food was really VERY good.

We don't know yet why so many chemically-sensitive people were drawn to Snowflake. Supposedly most of them live on the east side of town near where we are. They all came from somewhere else and we've heard that some of them have found improvement in the condition of their health since they arrived and managed to re-establish themselves.

3 comments:

Anji said...

I am really enjoying your "Mormon adventures" in Snowflake. I have to agree that the Snowflake Arizona temple is rather different architecturally. Maybe you would be interested in looking at pictures of some of the other Mormon temples around the world. Some of them have strange looking architecture, but I think that most of them are quite beautiful. You can see many pictures of them here: http://www.ldschurchtemples.com/temples/

I actually ran across your blog looking for information on legal issues with making and selling home made herbal remedies, but I found a pretty good list of guidelines on eBay's help pages. Maybe if there is anything else you could add, I would be really grateful :) Thank you!

Sheryl Karas said...

Thanks for your comment! I don't really know what to tell you about guidelines. It depends on what you're doing.

I include a few lines on all my packaging, on my website and other marketing materials disclosing all my ingredients, and letting people know that while the ingredients used are considered safe (especially in the quantities I use) that it IS possible to be allergic to anything and people should try the product in small quantities before using it extensively.

I also don't make physical claims for the herbs used even if they ARE quite healthful -- it's not allowed. You ARE allowed, however, to talk about emotional influences of products used for aromatherapy.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for linking to Amelia's! I have family in the area and until now they've never mentioned anywhere I could find my "California-style" foodstuffs. Thanks to you, I'll be visiting Amelia's during my visit this Memorial Day weekend.