Thursday, March 05, 2009

The Call the Wind Mariah

Away out here they have a name for rain and wind and fire.

The rain is Tess, the fire's Joe and they call the wind Mariah.

Mariah blows the stars around and sets the clouds a-flyin'.

Mariah makes the mountains sound like folks was out there dyin'.

Mariah. (Mariah).
Mariah. (Mariah).
They call the wind Mariah.

The wind out here blows with a great ferocity. Supposedly gusts of 50 miles an hour or more were recorded in this area last night. It HOWLS around the house and through the juniper trees. I've always hated the wind and prefer to stay in the house hunkered down under the covers whenever it blows. But here we have discovered that it never sounds as loud outside if we dare to venture into it.

In my email today came a quote from Sri Ramakrishna: "It is the mind that makes one wise or ignorant, bound or emancipated."

Last night I was feeling bound-- too isolated, too far away from things I know and have loved. I missed having friends, people to sing and play music with, obvious opportunities for selling our products and services nearby.

I did a bit of a spiritual counseling session for myself before going to bed and had it pointed out to me that, despite how I feel about it, I have exactly what I asked for and what I've said I wanted over and over for many years: basic level security, a very loving relationship, loving family, more access to country living, and time to do my art and writing.

Earlier in the evening Paul's mom told me about a craft boutique to benefit the local Senior Center I could participate in and I had a really nice conversation with an older woman who said she'd be happy to share a table with me. She also told me about a small women's group in the area with lots of creative people in it. One woman makes part of her living making and selling solar cookers, another woman makes art out of gourds she grows herself. I once drew the artwork and designed a book cover for a book about how to make and use solar cookers (Solar Cooking: A Primer/Cookbook) and friends back in Santa Cruz grow gourds and make musical instruments out of them. So this invitation definitely caught my attention. I plan to go. It sounds like fun.

I went to bed feeling happier and, after giving myself permission to do what I really want to do based on my guidance session last night, woke up feeling much happier as a result.

The wind is blowing like crazy again today but before I got up I heard a guitar being strummed and the voices of Paul's parents singing from the livingroom. "They Call the Wind Mariah", "Blowin' in the Wind"...they went through a bunch of them and it was really sweet.

---

Does every blog post have to have an ad attached telling people how to buy my art? Sorry... but yes, when I have a piece available for sale, this is the only way I have to let people know. "Blue Sky" looks really nice on a variety of products on Cafepress. It's also available as framed or unframed fine art print or print on canvas through my gallery on Imagekind.

2 comments:

TERI REES WANG said...

Wow, wild...Mariah!

Evie's Tool Emporium said...

Lovely blue sky! Take me away!
Michelle-