Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Is There a Message in the Grass?


This is one of the more distinctive grasses around here. I really like the sickle shaped tufted tops so I looked it up on the internet. It's called Blue Grama grass and, if you really wanted to, you could buy it in a nursery online for your garden. It's extremely hardy. It can handle being eaten and trampled on by cattle, extreme cold, and desert-like drought.

This plant got me thinking. Are there grass flower essences? Turns out there are several! Maybe I should write about them.

And then I thought some more. I've been writing about the flower essences to be found in my Doing New Things with Confidence Perfume. Corn is one of the ingredients in that one and I planned to write about that one next. Corn is a grain. Wheat is a grain, too.... but it's also a grass. It looks a little like Blue Grama. Could corn be in the grass family, too?

Indeed it is.

Hmmm..... let's take a look at what the grass has to teach. More to come.

---

Click on the photo to find it as a framed or unframed fine art print or print on canvas. Visit the Blue Grama Grass section of my Cafepress giftshop to find it on greetings cards and a variety of fine gifts.

5 comments:

SleightGirl said...

Beautiful photo! And you're right, that sickle shape sure is cool!

Anne Vis said...

Nice blog! I wonder if genetic manupulation would influence an essence, like if you would make one of corn?

Sheryl Karas said...

Yes, but sometimes that's a good thing, depending on what it's for. Genetic variations occur naturally all the time. The problem with genetic manipulation that could not possibly occur in nature -- that which is done by inserting genes of a different species into the the genetic structure of another -- has untold effects we're don't know the half of yet! The flower essence makers I know -- FES and Healing Herbs, in particular -- I'm sure would avoid GMO corn in the flower essences they make at any cost.

Thanks, Anne, for your comment!

Rasberry Bush said...

Wild Oat is a grass, corn it grass structure i guess.

Sheryl Karas said...

Wild Oat and Corn ARE grasses I talk about in later blogs in this series. Guess you found this one first!