Monday, April 27, 2009

Peep is Gone


We brought Peep to the vet today and after some consultation and tears on the subject we decided to put her down. She's suffered enough. The vet was kind and was willing to initiate extraordinary measures on our behalf but was certain he had never seen a cat in this condition who was able to recover without multiple relapses and a terrible quality of life. He didn't push us either way, just respectfully answered our questions and gave his opinion only when we asked him to. He let us have as much time as we needed with her and was very reassuring every step of the way. It's great to know vets like him exist.

It was a very hard day but not as hard as yesterday. We buried her on a hill we can see from the front porch of the house and put a ring of petrified wood with pieces of juniper on top. When we came back after a walk later in the day so Paul could place a pretty white rock and a dove feather he found there was a tiny cottontail rabbit under a tree by her grave. Peep loved to stare at the rabbits but never threatened them so it seemed a fitting tribute.

10 comments:

Linda in the Northeast Kingdom said...

Journey on, Sweet Kitty...
Go chase those bunnies;
remembering those folks
who loved you well.

I, too, did play with you
in California days.
I send you joyful dreams,
of rabbits, butterflies, and
sweet flowers.

Journey on, Sweet Pippa,
to your next adventures.

Linda

Celtic Cat said...

So sorry to hear this! I know how I felt when I had to put down one of my
furry babies. Hugs going your way!

Renee[Q][C] said...

I am so sorry to hear about Peep. I think you did the right thing letting him go on your own terms. Its always hard to hear about a pet passing for me especially!
Good Luck!

john said...

My heart's with you--what a cat!

I almost didn't want you to see her when the carpet lady first showed her to me--I just knew you'd melt and we'd have years of 'dust kitties' accumulating in the corners. She was a smart, loving, individual so beautifully embodied.

Hugs

by Patricia Wood said...

I'm so sorry... My condoleances.

Evie's Tool Emporium said...

I'm sorry to hear of your loss. I put my sweet Megan down 1-1/2 years ago. I hold the memories of her close to my heart!
May your memories warm your heart!
Michelle-

Chronicles of Neurotic-A said...

I'm so sorry. RIP, Peep.

The Great Ethan Allen said...

It's soo sad when your cat dies! We lost Zulu last year and it is still too painful to think about him. He was an awesome cat. We haev since gotten two new ones who are great. It took two great cats to equal one Zulu. Or so I would like to think about it. ( he's the cat in my Icon)

Sheryl Karas said...

Thanks for all your love and well wishes. It's meant a lot!

Sheryl

Beth said...

I know this post isn't new but I still wanted to pass on my condolences. It is never an easy choice to euthanize one of our beloved companions. I'm sorry for the loss of Peep.