Saturday, July 18, 2009

Celebrating My Book!


Ok, so yesterday I mentioned in my blog that I finished my book. All business as usual, just doing a blog as an attempt to be conscientious but not really celebrating. Then someone I don't know that well wrote and congratulated me on it and I burst into tears. Why? I didn't stop to congratulate myself. I just went right on to the next hard things I feel like I need to do without stopping.

Writing a book is no big deal—it's a really big deal! How many people say they've accomplished anything like that in their lives? And I don't just have one good book for sale, I have three of them.

Okay, let's give it a good plug. You never know, maybe someone on my Followers list has a literary agent with a great track record in the family who would love to know about this:

I have written what I intend to be a positive and uplifting memoir about the challenges of finding your way when you follow a nontraditional path. It's 93,460 words, with the working title of Paul and Sheryl’s Adventures in the Great Recession Mormon Desert. Written with sensitivity and humor whenever possible, it is also a book about the times we live in—economic challenges, war, stress and strife standing in stark contrast with the joys of nature and the desire to live one’s life with integrity.

The book is about the journey of two metaphysical counselors, healers and artists at the height of the Great Recession of 2008/2009 who leave their ultra-progressive left wing community of Santa Cruz, CA right on the heels of the election of Barack Obama and the passage of Proposition 8 (the ban on gay marriage in California which was heavily backed by the Mormon Church). They inadvertently wind up in the desert outside a Mormon pioneer town in the home state of John McCain. That's a little odd, interesting and sometimes amusing in itself but the story becomes much more than that. It's about spiritual awakening, in the sense of learning more about one's calling, and the importance of reclaiming one’s voice in a world which begs for an end to injustice, polarity and hate.

Yeah, I'm writing in the third person about myself and my partner Paul—I have back cover copy in mind, you know. This book is written by me, with occasional and sometimes quite funny additions by my sweetie, and it is the story of our lives. We are a spiritual counseling and healing team with a bent for creative expression. Both of us have been published authors, avid bloggers and artists. The book is written as a series of “blog posts,” like a journal, with connecting threads in between. What makes it poignant and different from a journal, however, is my attempt to hold up a positive vision for others even while my own world is falling apart. If you follow my blog on a regular basis you know that in my writing I shift from personal narrative to providing philosophically-oriented information and help for others at every turn.

Learning to hold a candle for others when the wind keeps threatening to blow out yours is the job we sometimes take on as spiritual counselors. Many of you through the years have given us wonderful compliments and some have even encouraged us to share our writing in a book. We're following through!

I have a B.A. in Communications from Simmons College and an M.A. in Transpersonal Psychology from the Institute of Transpersonal Psychology. I have written and published three nonfiction books in the past but this would be my first memoir. Paul has degrees in Religious Studies, Behavioral Science, and Creative Writing. His short stories and articles have been published in several literary magazines and newspapers. I think we have what it takes to see this all the way. Let's hope that the best people to help us get this book out to the public agree.

No comments: