Monday, August 24, 2009

Add This—Share My Stuff with Your Friends!


Okay, I know most of you super bloggers found out how to do this years ago but it's new for me. And if it's something you haven't found before then maybe it's something you might want to do.

You see that share button with the little icons in it at the bottom of each of my posts? If you hover over that, the button will expand into a box with options for sharing my post with other people. You can send a link via email, put it on Twitter or Facebook or even help me out by recommending my post on Digg, Reddit, Stumbleupon or many others.

So what? Well, if you're a blogger and trying to get people to read your blog this is exactly what you want to do. It makes it easy for readers to let other people know about you. And that's what it's all about, right? Who wants to blog without anyone reading?

So do you want to know how to add this handy little button on your posts? Okay! Go to AddThis.com, select your blogging service, select the look of your button, decide whether you want to track how many people actually use it (there are some things I decided I'd rather not know) and then click the "Get Your Button" button. Follow the directions for adding it to all your posts automatically. It's free!

Making it show up on each of your posts is a bit more complicated than adding it to your sidebar -- you could easily do that, too, like I did-- but it's well worth it! Someone might not be interested in sharing your whole blog on the day you write about how much you hate Fluffy, your yowling neighbor's cat, but when they find a post with your really great recipe for serving Fluffy for dinner with. . . okay, I'll stop. I love cats, I'm just being sick. Anyway, it's worth doing.

Now you will have to take a deep breath and read the step-by-step tutorial. Keep breathing, chant OM if you have to. I know, it involves editing your own code. But I swear that if you relax, take your time, and follow the very simple and brief (MUCH shorter than this blog post) instructions you can do this. You just have to be patient and find the itty-bitty little piece of code that says < class="'post-footer'"> and paste the button code in after that. Preview it without saving to make sure you did it right. Then save and you're done. The button will show up after every one of your blog posts after that. Yeah!

I did it. It wasn't as hard as I made it sound. And now you can go ahead and tell people about anything on my blog you'd like other people to see. And now that I know what this little button is all about I'll do the same for other people, too!

3 comments:

Alicia Istanbul said...

Ah! I feel like I just learned a secret. Thanks so much for sharing this.

Designer Favors said...

That's great. Thank you for sharing.

Emily said...

Thanks! I'm such a noob when it comes to blogging