Thursday, October 29, 2009

A Healthy Hopping Rodent Friend


Have you ever seen anything more adorable? I got this photo from Wikipedia. It's a Kangaroo Rat and we have one right now living in the house. It's fairly large and is actually even cuter than this one. A better photo is here at the Desert Museum. And the weird thing is that it does not run like other mice. It hops on its hind legs like a kangaroo.

It's very happy, especially at night, and spends most of its time going from the office where Paul is right now to the bedroom where I am. It will hop right up to us. It hops right up to Chloe, our cat. Sometimes it even bows slightly in our direction before going on its way. But it seems pretty much impossible to catch. Too fast, must be why it's not afraid of us.

We would like to trap it in a live trap and encourage it to live outside again because it's freaking Paul's mom out and gets really noisy rummaging around in Paul's stuff in the bedroom at night. Fortunately for the creature it snowed last night! 3-4 inches and it got really cold so it didn't melt. That means I, for one, can't quite bring myself to force it to live outside right now. I may be outnumbered when it comes to that decision but for now Kanga (yes, we named it) is living the good life inside and has even been given a nice bowl of seeds to eat by Paul's mom who thought that might be a good way to catch it. Uhh... probably not when there are bowls of catfood easily accessible as well.

2 comments:

Celtic Cat said...

He/she is darling! I am surprised
that your cat hasn't pounced on the
little critter!

Sheryl Karas said...

I know! I think it's the hopping thing. It doesn't seem to trigger the same reaction from my cat that other mice do.