Sunday, November 01, 2009

Experimentation with the Graphics Tablet



We have a new graphics tablet that we finally have gotten brave enough to try and a new painting program, Corel Painter Essentials, to try it out with. Very challenging to learn new things but it became very fun once I sat through all the video tutorials on Corel Painter tonight and gave it a go.

I started with a photo I took of a Yucca plant, barely manipulated at all -- just a little more color saturation. I always liked how the strange looking silky filaments in the center of the plant contrasted with the rigid straight leaves.

Then I brought it into Photoshop and added several filters. It wasn't good enough so that's when I loaded the Corel Painter program and tried it's oil painting effects. I really loved how that turned out but then I brought it back into Photoshop to do a few finishing touches. Paul reached over to show me how to do something I didn't know and hit the wrong key by mistake. Suddenly the colors inverted and then we both knew we had something unique and, I think, pretty wonderful.

The last image I'm sharing here is a small detail of the last image showing the very realistic brush strokes the Corel Painter program is capable of doing.  I put both of the paintings in one of my Image kind galleries tonight if you're interested in seeing what they look like matted and framed.
  


1 comment:

elsiee said...

ooooh I love the watery color effect - gorgeous!