Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Yamchiladas!

My New Year's resolution is to eat more vegetables. I'd even like to add vegetarian meals back in to my diet a few times every week. As much as I'm able to at least. I used to be totally vegetarian. That lasted 10 years but after developing some pretty serious health problems I gave it up. It was a great idea—I never felt healthier. But I also went from being a person who couldn't gain weight to save my life (literally) to one who now gains weight at the drop of a hat. I'm also finding it nearly impossible to drop those pounds. So I'm finding vegetarian meals I think both Paul and I would enjoy.

Paul actually found and requested this one. I made a number of improvements by adding tofu, corn and tomatoes. It was REALLY good!

Yamchiladas for Paul

3-4 yams
1 onion
small can of diced green chile pepper (not spicy)
garlic (at least 5 cloves)
0.25 tsp cayenne pepper
1/2 a large container of tofu
1 15 oz.  can black beans
1 15 oz. can corn
1 15 oz. can diced tomatoes (I chose one with jalapeno added)
12 large flour tortillas
1 large can enchilada sauce
Shredded cheddar or jack cheese (or some combination)

Cut yams into pieces and boil until soft.

Saute the onion, peppers, and garlic. Add the cayenne. When the yams are soft, peel them if you want (I left the skins on). Add yams and tofu to the onions & peppers and mash them up. Drain the beans, diced tomatoes and corn and add them.

Put a small amount of enchilada sauce in the bottom of a large lasagna pan. (You might need two, I used a small square pan as well.) Put a few large spoonfuls on a tortilla, roll it up, and put it in a lasagna pan. Repeat until the pans are full.

Pour the enchilada sauce all over them so they're swimming in it. I used a large can of red but green might have been good, too. Sprinkle cheese on top.

Bake at 350 for 20-30 minutes (20 min if the contents are still warm from before).

This is not that spicy. You could probably double the cayenne safely.

I didn't think to do it but this dish would be complete with salad and rice.

No comments: