Tuesday, September 06, 2011

Claiming the Change -- An Excerpt from "Waking Up in the Great Recession Mormon Desert"

An excerpt from our latest book...

Claiming the Change

Everything changes. That's a Buddhist tenet I've never felt very good about. Change isn't a favorite thing of mine to negotiate. But lately change is what we all need, what the Obama administration was elected to provide, and what many of us may be pinning all our hopes and dreams upon.

Yesterday I was walking with Paul down one of the country roads close to our house. It's quiet here. Paul wrote about the natural quieting down this creates in our lives and how it helps one look at the contents of one's thoughts in a recent blog. I got a great illustration of how that works while on this walk.

At first I enjoyed the scenery, the pleasant weather, and my optimistic point of view. “How nice it is to walk out here.” I thought. But then I had another, more insidious, thought process come in. “Oh, it's nice enough now. But what if this is where you had to stay forever? What if you and Paul never get out of this situation? How would you feel about this landscape then? Wouldn't it be boring to do this day in and day out?”

I immediately felt frightened, desperate, and almost completely miserable. . . and then caught myself. “Look at what happened here!” I thought. I went from happy and content to miserably discontent within the shortest time imaginable and NOTHING had changed except my point of view. My rogue thoughts had almost ruined my day but I decided to choose another way.

I experimented with other thoughts: “Maybe we'll love it here and will want to stay. Maybe we'll go. Everything changes. Why would I think this couldn't change, too? Maybe, I won't even want it to!”

Forever is a limiting point of view. The present moment always contains the seeds of change. Paul warns me that trying to predict the future, or worrying about it based on the false predictions my fear-based mindset would try to create, is a foolish thing to do. The best way to predict the future is to claim it. “Claim it” is the phrase my guidance insisted on when I was writing this sentence. I had planned to say “create it” but that’s not good enough. We need to insist on what we want to create. To intend it so firmly we believe it is our birthright. To claim it means “This is mine. This belongs to me and I deserve to have it!”

Waking Up in the Great Recession Mormon Desert is available directly from Paul and me here.

No comments: