Monday, August 05, 2013

Flower Essences to Help Pets Get Along

Peeps, Chai and Gregory on Paul's Lap
Have you ever introduced a new pet to a household with other animals? It's not always fun.

I remember when I brought Peeps and Chloe to stay with me and my ex John and his two cats Chai and Gregory. Peeps was used to being the queen of her castle and would not accept any lesser status. Chai and Gregory were not overly protective of their space but never expected not be welcomed into hers. After all, they thought they owned the house!

One day Chai came into my office to say hello to Peeps. Personally, I thought he was just being friendly but Peeps was outraged that he thought he could just walk into her domain. (Either that or she was terrified—it's hard to tell the difference.) She hissed and spit and more or less said "GET OUT!"

Chai seemed shocked and immediately responded as if his feelings were hurt. "What do you mean 'Get out!'? You witch!" Rather than turn tail and run as Peeps insisted, he backed away and then came back to give her a smack across the face. All hell broke loose and I had to intervene and chase Chai out.

From that point on Peeps and Chai were bitter enemies. Peeps would walk into a room and Chai would leap on her. I took her side and resented him and Chai would act clearly hurt and upset about that. Finally Paul intervened. "Chai just wants to be friends!"

Oh yeah, I forgot about that. So a new tactic was adopted. Paul and I made space for Chai in our hearts and on the couch and on our laps and did our best to help Peeps relax. It was rough going but eventually it worked out alright. At one point all four cats managed to pile on top of Paul every night. That's when we knew it was going to work out. But before that happened . . . boy, do I wish I had thought of using flower essences for all of us back then!

I have a brand new flower essence formula for pets in my shop right now: Mama Love for Getting Along With Others. It is designed to help ease insecurities and overly self-protective tendencies. It helps people and pets have more positive social contact so they can become part of a group more healthfully.

 



No comments: