Wednesday, January 01, 2014

Flower Essences and Aromatherapy Combine for a Good Night's Sleep

Lately, I've been needing to use one of my most popular Mama Love flower essence aromatherapy formulas for myself -- Restful Sleep. I'm doing a lot of experimenting with new product ideas for my business and I've been like an over-excited hyperactive child who just can't seem to settle down. But, when I remember to use them, my formulas do me a lot of good and at times Restful Sleep can work so well it's shocking. So that got me thinking: what makes this particular blend so effective?

First, keep in mind that this is not a potent tranquilizer in the sense of it being a sleeping pill that could put down an elephant. Not even close! In fact, I strongly recommend that chronic insomnia sufferers first consult with a doctor and then use this blend 2-3 times a day, sometimes more. Generally speaking, I find it works extremely well the first day and almost infallibly so (for me) by the second day of this treatment... but, of course, your mileage may vary!

That said, why does it work? We're talking about essential oils applied to the skin, combined with flower essences which have no smell, and infused with Reiki.

I actually have no idea from a medical point of view! This was a spiritually guided formula that I have been pondering ever since I started making it. But let's break down what I can tell you about it ingredient by ingredient:

Chamomile in both flower essence and essential oil form: Well, okay, this one is practically a no-brainer as Chamomile tea is one of the most popular natural sleep-enhancing herb teas there is. I use German Chamomile essential oil which is a shocking blue-green color. It is most famously used in the treatment of both colic and hyperactivity in children but adults like its antidepressant and stress-reducing effects. I find my Restful Sleep formula addresses stress and emotional tension I tend to accumulate in my stomach and solar plexus. Chamomile flower essence is said to help this very thing.

Nicotiana flower essence: This is the most unusual ingredient as I have never seen it used in any other sleep formula. Nicotiana (also known as Flowering Tobacco) is recommended most highly for people trying to kick their addiction to nicotine. Based on the idea of like treating like, Nicotiana flower essence uses an almost microscopic level of the flower of this plant to inspire the body/mind to bring forward the internal state it needs to come into balance. It imparts peace and groundedness while releasing the need to harden one's heart to the stress of living in what might seem to be an emotionally harsh world. Is your heart really in this stressful society we find ourselves in? Or are you carrying a double burden of soldiering on, doing the "right" or expected thing, doing what you feel needs to be done without wanting to feel anything about it?

Remember the Men at Work song "Ain't Nothing Gonna Hold Me Down"?
Ain't nothing gonna break my stride
Nobody's gonna slow me down
Oh no, I've got to keep on moving
Ain't nothing gonna break my stride
I'm running and I won't touch ground
Oh no, I've got to keep on moving
 That's the mindset that needs to be addressed! This is even more true if as the song says:
You're on the road and now you pray you'll last
The road behind you was rocky
But now you're feeling cocky
Oh yeah, you "know" what you need to do: get it done, get it done, get it done, done, done. Of course, in excess this mindset will kill you! Same thing is true if you're up late at night planning and scheming or fretting about what might need to be done. What we really need is a more grounded relaxed perspective as we travel the road we're on. A more Taurus perspective: grounded, moving forward step by step, only responding most vigorously when in true danger or when there is a real need to act fast. Taking a long-term view and having a long-term gameplan. Life coaches like to say that life is a marathon and not a sprint. But I hate that metaphor because most marathons are grueling! I think it best to enjoy a nice long walk with time to smell the flowers and enjoy the fresh air.

So Nicotiana flower essence is in this. To allow a person to stop and enjoy the road a bit, to be at peace with life and let go -- at least sometimes -- of the need to keep performing.

Rock Water flower essence: Rock Water is also a much overlooked flower essence in sleep remedies. It is used to help release rigidities, especially the harsh inner taskmaster with its impossible to maintain beliefs about how you should behave and how much you should get done. It helps people let go, go with the flow, even change course when getting where they need to go could happen by following an easier route or, better, with an easier attitude.

Spikenard essential oil: This is the very costly oil Mary Magdaline so famously poured over Jesus's feet. It is a very potent oil that has been used to treat insomnia and release tension for millennia.

Jasmine and Rosewood essential oils: These are both used to increase feelings of tranquility and  reduce worry and concerns that cause anxiety or depression.

Restful Sleep Flower Essence Aromatherapy is available both on my own website and in my Etsy shop.

No comments: