Wednesday, October 26, 2016

Making Your Own Coffee Substitutes -- DIY Herbal Coffee-like Drinks


I have a hard time with caffeine! A little bit -- I'm talking about 2-3 sips! -- of coffee makes me feel more grounded. That's nice. A whole cup or sometimes just a half cup makes me feel spaced out, especially if I use any sweetener. And I just can't function like that—I literally want to lie down and take a nap or, more to the point, get it out of my system as fast as possible by drinking lots of water. NOT the normal reaction, right?

So awhile ago I started making herbal blends to take the place of my full-bodied morning drink. After a fair bit of experimentation I discovered that Roasted Chicory and Dandelion Root are two ingredients that most mimic that earthy-bitter with a touch of sweet taste we like in coffee. Carob adds something I really like and a little more sweetness. Experimenting with Orange Peel and Cinnamon Chips was a nice experience. And -- for those who don't worry about gluten grains -- Caramel Malt (malted barley used in beer making) makes a Chicory and Dandelion blend an awesome treat!

Here are my favorite recipes from my personal experimentation. Place the ingredients in a tea ball or strainer. Add hot water and steep about 3 minutes (longer if you like your coffee-substitute strong). You can find most of the ingredients (except extracts) in my MamaLoveOrganics shop on Etsy.

Orange Spice Dandelion
Per Serving (large mug) use:

1/2 tsp Roasted Chicory Root
1/2 tsp Roasted Dandelion Root
1/4 tsp Orange Peel
1/4 tsp Cinnamon Chips

Steep 3 minutes, sweeten and add 1/2 and 1/2 if desired
(Using honey brings out the orange taste more.)

Vanilla Almond Dandelion
Per serving (large mug) use:

1/2 tsp Roasted Chicory Root
1/2 tsp Roasted Dandelion Root
1/2 tsp. Carob
2-3 drops Almond extract
4-5 drops Vanilla extract 

Steep 3 minutes, sweeten and add 1/2 and 1/2 if desired.

Favorite Herbal Coffee Blend
Per serving (large mug) use:

1/2 tsp Roasted Chicory Root
1/2 tsp. Caramel Malt
1/4 tsp. Roasted Dandelion Root
1/4 tsp. Carob

Steep 3 minutes, sweeten and add 1/2 and 1/2 if desired. Naturally sweet --you might not need sweetener!

No comments: