Thursday, October 20, 2016

The Upside of a Flower Essence Self-Awareness Crisis


Some people (on occasion, not often) find that the psychological condition they are treating with flower essences temporarily intensifies just before transformation occurs. This is called a self-awareness crisis and it is caused by bringing unconscious emotions and attitudes to sharper awareness. It is also something I avoid like the plague! Who wants to take something to heal a problem and have it get worse? It's counter-intuitive. . . but sometimes it's exactly what needs to happen!

Case in point: my jaw is out of alignment and causing me migraine headaches, problems with chewing, TMJ symptoms. I've tried a lot of approaches such as daily Reiki, Chinese medicine, massage, magnesium (that DID help but has side effects at the high enough dose). I've also been examining emotional issues I know are involved (anger and resentment about not getting hired at full-time positions I am wildly qualified for, not getting into MFA programs, the elections, etc.). I finally decided to use a flower essence that was guided to me: Larch, Rock Water and Zinnia.

Larch is for having a more positive outlook on the future and more confident self-expression. Rock Water is for not being so hard on myself and for relaxing rigidities. Zinnia is for lightening up, cultivating amusement about the absurdities of life, and having more positive energy for life in general and for what I want to try next. 

Sounds good except the first thing that happened was an intensification of the opposite feelings! And my jaw pain got really bad. Oh damn! Who wants that? But then something surprising happened. I've been working on this problem with very little sustainable progress for some time and was feeling angry, sad, overwhelmed and discouraged. I flopped on the couch on my customary left side, leaned into the armrest that my elbow was resting on and rested my head in my left hand -- OWWWW! My jaw hurt like hell! 

And that's when I realized that this posture was my customary unconscious behavior whenever I was feeling this bad! This was a repetitive motion injury of sorts and all I had to do was stop that behavior and perhaps counteract the damage by pushing my jaw the other way. Easier said than done -- I had NO idea how often I had fallen into that habit, but I'm actively aware of it now, making changes and my jaw already is feeling better. Much better. And I don't think I would have gotten a handle on it if the flower essences hadn't intensified the problem temporarily enough for me to notice it more obviously.

So don't be afraid of a self-awareness crisis when using flower essences -- work with it! Regular use of complementary practices such as meditation, counseling, journal-keeping or other forms of self-expression can ease the process or prevent a healing crisis from occurring in the first place. If the awareness crisis becomes unusually intense (beyond a healthy level of discomfort), reduce the frequency of the dosage or change the flower essence selection. 

UPDATE (October 31st): I've continued taking this formula, the initial self-awareness crisis has passed, and my sense of humor has wonderfully returned! Yay! It's been gone for awhile. And my jaw is back in alignment and feeling MUCH better. Just a bit of residual tension left so I'm still using my essence formula for awhile longer.

No comments: