Wednesday, November 02, 2016

One of My Favorite Sassafras Tea Blends


Sassafras was the first edible native wild plant I was taught to identify as a child in the woods near my house in Massachusetts. It often has three different shaped leaves on one plant, many in the shape of a mitten. It is also the plant I recognize as the reason why I am a plant healer today, as the person who introduced me to it said the Native Americans in the area used it for many medicinal purposes and I was particularly fascinated by that.

But I don't tend to use it for medicinal purposes myself. I like the taste! Colonial settlers brought this plant back to England where it became popular as a beverage mixed with cinnamon. I like it that way, too, with a touch of honey and 1/2 and 1/2. But the following recipe is my favorite way to drink it of all. You'll find all the ingredients in my Etsy shop.

Rocking the Roots Tea
Use equal parts of the following ingredients (1 tsp each for a pot)


Put all the ingredients in a tea strainer or tea ball. Add hot water and steep about 5 minutes. I like to add just a little honey (Licorice is already sweet) and a spot of 1/2 and 1/2.

I've tried multiple variations of this. Dandelion makes it more coffee-like but I find it too drying for my constitution. Hibiscus is interesting and somewhat tropical. Vanilla, ginger and nutmeg were worthy additions as well. It might be great as chai with less (or no) Chicory.

No comments: