Friday, January 27, 2017

Awesome Recipe for Hot Chocolate Elderberry Spice -- Healthy Drink with a Twist

By masatoshi_ from Kyoto, Japan (ホットチョコレート)
[CC BY 2.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0)], via Wikimedia Commons
Well, it starts with a healthy enough drink! Elderberry tea is a traditional tool for supporting the immune system. As soon as cold and flu season hits I make pots of my Elderberry Licorice Spice tea blend and store them in mason jars in the refrigerator so all I have to do is reheat a cup in my microwave whenever I want some. I use 16 teaspoons for a 2 quart pot of water, simmer 10 minutes, strain the liquid into a clean mason jar, add more water and simmer again. I get 3 pots full before the ingredients really get tapped out.

Start with pre-brewed Elderberry Licorice Spice tea, prepared as described above. Then I add 1 teaspoon of unsweetened cocoa powder and 1 teaspoon (or a little less) of granulated sugar to 1/2 cup of the tea, directly in my largest mug (I think it holds 15 oz). I put that in my microwave for about 20 seconds to get the liquid warm enough to mix the cocoa powder and sugar in. (Don't bother mixing when the mixture is cold -- it won't work.) Then I add enough milk or half and half to fill my cup and heat it up to drinking temperature. Actually, I usually leave a little space in my mug to add a bit of brandy after it's hot, but that's optional, of course. Then top it off with whipped cream. SO GOOD!!!!

No comments: