Wednesday, May 31, 2017

Choosing Flower Essences Using the Power of Intention



When most people—and I'm going to include myself in this—go in search of a healing solution our primary motivating factor is usually PAIN. Emotional and/or physical distress that we just want to STOP! And that's understandable—of course, we want that.

So when someone approaches me with a desire to interrupt a long-standing pattern or current day acute distress they always start with the idea of what they want to change. "I'm not sleeping, I'm worried all the time, I need to know what to do about it!" And being the dutiful helper I start out by thinking the same way. . . until I check my guidance and occasionally get offered a really different solution than what I typically would expect.

When I received my flower essence practitioner training we were taught to not only look at what the client wants to change but what they want to feel instead. What do they intend?

So, for example, suppose you ARE worried all the time because you're facing some challenges that involve making changes and you don't know what to expect. The concern as it usually gets stated is "I need to stop being so anxious and afraid. Do you have anything for that?" And I do! My most popular formula, in fact, Releasing Worry and Fear is great for that.

But what if we reframed the request in terms of what the client wants instead? "To feel more relaxed." Okay, I'm still pointing them to Releasing Worry and Fear. But if I say "relaxed about what?" the answer expands to "the future, of course, and how I'm going to handle it!"

Now I'm starting to look at Larch which is for more positive expectations and, therefore, greater confidence to tackle the process of making the changes desired. If we have more conversation and ask why you are concerned about how you're going to handle things, I might hear that you've had a significant setback (Gentian) or that the project is a long-term one requiring inner strength and determination. If at that point, I ask you to set an intention, I might hear that you might have had a tendency to give up in the face of overwhelming obstacles (again, Larch) but that you intend to have the resolve, inner strength and fortitude to persist in this situation no matter what!

Now I'm thinking you could greatly benefit from a formula I make called Resolve and Determination that has Larch, Impatiens (for acceptance of long-term process) and Penstemon (for great inner fortitude and perseverance).

And that is a very different formula! Does that mean using Releasing Worry and Fear would be wrong? Yes, on one level but it's perfect on another. For example, maybe you need to calm down so you can even imagine a course of action for the future. Use Releasing Worry and Fear first. Then do some intentioning (visualizing and thinking about what you want to create instead of  obsessing about what you fear) and set some goals. When that process is complete, now you step into your power and use Resolve and Determination to help you move ahead.

I offer flower essence consultation if you want help with this process, and my partner Paul and I can work with you separately or together as spiritual counselors and healers to take you even further along.

No comments: